Monday, March 19, 2007

SXSW - The Last Day (maybe)

Springtime in Austin typically lasts 3 days. We go from TOO hot to TOO cold – but we DO get about 3 absolutely PERFECT weather days each year. Saturday was one of them! The Rajiworld party was held at “The Nest” – a small venue attached to Big Red Sun. Potted Rosemary plants lined the stage creating an aromatherapy experience each time a breeze would come by! Dave and I arrived a tad early to stake out a place to throw down the blanket and got a peachy spot by the stage. As if it couldn’t get any better, my son Charlie and his “girlfriend du jour” Ashley were able to drive up from Houston to join us. How can ya beat a day long music fest with the family in tow!

The catered food was wonderful! The "bizarre moment" of the day occured when Dave and I went to get an organic taco and were approached by Michael Des Barres who highly recommended the Pomegranite Lemonade! OKAY! Kinda like Carrie Nation recommending the Zinfandel with a Black Jack chaser! (BTW, Michael was right -- the stuff was delicious)! Pamela Des Barres MC'd most of the acts on stage -- I can't tell ya how many times I wanted to trade lives with her in the 70's!! She's an entire first-hand TGOM database of rock-n-roll! (NASCAR buddies will get that one)!

Sooooo many great artists! I’m sure I’ll miss a few but here goes…… AJ Croce opened with some INCREDIBLE ragtime/jazz piano! (no, he doesn't sound like his Dad) -- he's better! Next up was Billy Harvey who accompanied himself with some sophisticated instant recording equipment! My son, a budding musician himself, expressed an interest in obtaining whatever Harvey was using – and my checkbook cried out in pain at the thought! Danged if I can remember the name of the next singer/songwriter – he’s a new addition to Roggie’s group of artists and brought back memories of folk festivals in the 70’s!

The next artist was a complete surprise -- James McMurtry! And to hear “We Can’t Make It Here Anymore” live got my blood boiling and “Choctaw Bingo” was pure boogie heaven! I’ve met an Uncle Slayton or two back in New Caney in tha day!! James was followed by a wonderful blues wailer – Nakia, who reminded me of Joe Cocker. Chapparal from the Broken Spoke was up next, followed by the Hacienda Brothers who did a great version of the Box Tops “Cry Like a Baby.” Next up was Friends of Dean Martinez, who play some VERY trippy guitar instrumental. I looked around at one point and 99% of the audience was swaying back and forth with really blank expressions! LOL!

Next it was time for the Mother Truckers!! Our very own Continental Club kids! I rarely see my hubby get excited about a band, but I think the MT’s did the trick! We’ll be at the Continential on Thursdays from now on! Especially since Nakia will be playing this week with them!

Next was our buddy Ian McLagan & the wonderful Bump Band! Mac explained that he was playing on a borrowed keyboard, as he had managed to bring his own but left a crucial patch cord at home! Suddenly I didn’t feel as stupid for leaving my cell phone at home on Wednesday – thanks, Mac. Danged cords & cables!! The Bumps played an an impeccable set and managed to pull off “Kutchy Rye” without “HIM” (their special guest guitarist from Wednesday night LOL!) – and what a kick ass version it was! Always a treat to see Mac, Mark, Scrappy Judd & Don play!

The final act was Skyrocket with Kathy Valentine from the Go-Go’s. What a time warp! Interestingly, in the middle of the gig my wonderful hubby revealed that he went to school with Kathy! They got to say Hi after the gig!

What a great day – and such a treat to have all the bloggers together in a more relaxed environment. Burton & Colleen can certainly “cut a rug” – and I’ve got video to prove it (small, unmarked bills will be fine, guys). Thanks to Burton for fetching refreshments for all and for being a real peach all week! We had a great “meet & greet” with Mac afterward, and I finally scored a signed copy of “All The Rage” which I’m devouring – especially since I now understand why the ducks were being “nice.” LOL! Somehow, I wound up with Tana’s camera in my bag, but that merely gives us an excuse to get together again soon and swap stories (and perhaps make some new ones)!

Hopefully, Roger will heal quickly and the band can reschedule San Antonio so we can add a few postscripts to our SXSW stories! It’s hard to complain about a cancellation, especially since Roger’s health is much more important than a gig – AND – since we had such wonderful music to surround ourselves with for a week! I’ll try not to pitch too much of a fit if they don’t reschedule (who am I kiddin – I’ll have a yeller-cat conniption. A short one.) Pete, Rog….. for my hubby’s sake, reschedule San Antone!! He’s the one who has to live with me if I miss out on a gig! LOL!

Thanks to all who came to Austin to visit! It’s so nice to put faces with names and avatars! Take care, all! And stay in touch!

(now….back to my regularly schedule bitching about NASCAR!) THREE WEEKS TIL TMS!!

No comments: