Sunday, March 18, 2007

SXSW - DAYS 2, 3, & 4

It's hell to get old! My habit of shufflin' off to bed at 11-ish was broken bigtime this week! I'm one tired unit, but as blissfully happy as can be after 4 days of incredible music and wonderful friends. I fully intended to blog each day before retiring, but the universe conspired to have me work during the festival and I had to show up at the butt-crack of dawn. Hence, I hit the hay each night and will catch up on SXSW all at once! Here goes:


SXSW - Day Two!


I started the day with a Senior moment! Left the cellphone plugged in and charging away at home! Lot of good it did me there! First (and only) stop for the day was one near and dear to my heart - Roky Erickson's Psychedelic Ice Cream Social at Threadgills. This is the fifth annual Social and each one gets better - musically and spiritually! The weather was absolutely perfect and the vibe incredible!

This year, the Social honored those who have survived Electroshock "Therapy" (an oxymoron if I ever heard one). I would urge everyone to investigate for themselves and to form your own opinions, but it's obvious now that the State of Texas has gained a reputation for using agressive ECT to involuntarily "control" those it considered unruly, particularly in the 60's & 70's. Testimony from such visionaries as Michelle Shocked, Jim Franklin, Jack Blood and Leonard Roy Frank reveal the frightening truths about the use of ECT, and a concerted effort to prohibit it's continued use as a treatment methodology in Austin is underway. Roky's story of ECT survival is well known, but here are a few links for those who want to investigate and learn more about ECT and Roky's story.

http://www.endofshock.com/

http://thehighgroove.yuku.com/topic/354

Sumner Erickson (Roky's youngest brother, former guardian, and de factor savior) opened the event. Sumner was followed by JT VanZandt (who is the spittin image of his late father - and extremely talented in his own right). Next up was Robyn Hitchcock (who I now recognize and no longer mistake for Nick Lowe) with Peter Buck. I must admit I've not paid sufficient attention to Robyn's career after the Egyptians, but after listening to his amazing lyrics and VERY esoteric stage banter, I'm off to iTunes to download! He reminds me much of Frank Zappa but with a beautiful voice!

Tommy X Hancock was up next! Half expecting a tent-revival, gospel tune or two from the kindly looking old white-haired cowboy, we were treated to a rousing version of "God Will F&*(K You Up!" OKAY! Moving right along....... (it was hilarious, tho).

Powell St. John was a highlight of my whole week! Powell wrote many of the early 13th Floor Elevators songs and was the man who convinced a shy, homely Janis Joplin to take a trip to North Austin one day to play at Kenneth Threadgill's honkey tonk. Powell wrote "Bye Bye Baby" for Janis, and shared it's origins with the audience -- he had written it after a break up with his girlfriend. He performed "Kingdom of Heaven" and I've still got goosebumps! He was nice enough to chat with me for a bit after his set, and I scored an autographed CD that I'll treasure.

Michelle Shocked was teriffic, but went into a rant about audience members taking pictures during her set. She turned her back on the audience and sang over her shoulder - refusing to turn back around until all the cameras were put away. OK, she has a good point - but I think a benefit/celebration is probably not the best place to lecture about the evils of bootlegging. The whole episode reminded me of Pete's recent blog comments regarding the willingness to play without recompense. Recording devices - digital cameras and recorders are as common as air nowdays -- and not everyone who is taking pic intends to violate copyright. Some just want memories and today's technology makes it possible. Michelle finally put the soap box away eventually, and her "Anchored Down in Anchorage" had everyone on their feet.

Although I'd heard the name of the next band -- Spoon -- I had never taken the time to learn much about them or have a listen. OMG. These kids are incredible! Funny, I have to chuckle whenever I see a young musician using feedback to create a soundscape. "Wonder where THAT technique came from???" heh heh. These kids do the founder proud!

Sumner again took the stage at dusk to introduce a new song - "It Burns My Eyes" and was accompanied by the kids from Families Rock (who did incredible jobs working the event -- everything from the ice cream booth to t-shirt sales & security! All done by adolescents and elementary schoolers! It was like having miniature roadies everywhere and they took their jobs seriously!) Can't wait until a new CD is available!

Finally -- it was time for the man himself. For the first time in years, Roky is free of guardianship, is completely off meds, and I swear he gets younger every time I see him! Watching Roky perform is like having a ringside seat to a resurrection. He's making more eye contact with the audience, he's "be-boppin" on stage instead of standing still, and his voice is better than ever! No more "squeaky" versions of Starry Eyes and 2-Headed Dog! The famous "yeeeeowllll" during You're Gonna Miss Me is downright Daltrey-esque! (and I couldn't help thinking about having Roky sit in for Roger if he doesn't feel better soon....grin).

Roky's set left me drained, but happy as a pig in you-know-what! As if things couldn't get any better, while standing in line to say Hi, I noticed a lanky, grey haired cowboy sitting off to the side and wearing an original Elevators logo tank top. It was John Ike Walton -- The Elevators original drummer. What a treat to finally get to thank him for Psychedelic Sounds!!!

OK, gang -- 2 more days to blog about, but it's late and I need to START trying to catch up on my shut eye. I'll finish up days 3 and 4 tomorrow, and then we'll get back to talking about my OTHER obsession:

LEFT TURN, LEFT TURN, LEFT TURN, LEFT TURN!!

No comments: