Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Top Ten and an Bit of an Empty Nest

Somebody must have messed with the planets this week!
On Friday, we were hit with the news that our last remaining offspring had been approved for his first apartment. We had been halfway expecting our impending freedom from parenting for a while, but we weren't exactly given any specific date on which to expect the final kiddo to depart. The bomb was dropped, nonetheless, and we were faced with moving a 19-year old out into the world over the weekend. So.... just how NOT prepared can one be for the emotional empty spot that suddenly hits when you drop off that last load of “stuff”? Dave and I sat in the truck tonight after unloading the umpteenth truckload of “care packages” and looked at one another with audible “gulps” of realization that we are now Empty Nesters.

I can't speak for hubby, but I had to find some upsides to the whole thing (being the quintessential cockeyed-optimist) to keep from goin nutz. So, for posterity's sake, here are a few tips for those of you who will eventually need to seek the positive in losing an offspring to the big world outside:

- The former resident's “hazardous materials area” (a/k/a “bedroom”) can now become MY more sophisticated-sounding “Ruem du'Junque.”
- I really needed new living room furniture, and I still wield enough power to actually FORCE the child to take my old loveseat.
- Hubby can no longer ground me from visiting Bed, Bath & Beyond for new “necessities” for the kiddo.
- Four new empty walls on which to install NASCAR sheet metal.

- The ingredients necessary for tomorrow's planned meal will no longer mysteriously dissappear from the fridge overnight as if eaten by a giant rat that descends the staircase in the wee hours.

- Our internet should run faster without that 3rd PC downloading huge Anime cartoon files.

- I was gonna say we could run around nekkid, but he's already called to say he's coming back over to pick up a forgotten coax cable and some more bathtowels, so I guess that's out the window!

The good news is, in the midst of all this planetary confusion and emotional strife, SOMETHING went just as unexpectly RIGHT over the weekend:

SADLER GOT A TOP TEN!!!!

As much as I like to complain about my own aggravations of late, my NASCAR buddies have had a handful of their own! Not to mention my favorite driver! We got a few bright lights today, though – and JUST when needed, too! As an independent-thinking homo sapiens, I reserve the right to bitch and moan from time to time when the “Oval Facet” of my life tanks a bit – and I usually aim my slings and arrows Sadlerwise (Cuz, face it -- that's who I follow)!

I also have to eat a little crow from time to time! I did so today, as I listened to the #19's scanner and heard another seemingly head-bonkin battle bewteen a guy on the box (Ray) and a guy in the cawh (Elliott). I think I even opined in a race chat that Esad was being a little too complaintent in his insistence that problems lie in liner pressures vs. tire pressures, and whether it was a good time to pit or not.

Elliott Sadler was right.

Those of us who enjoy the antics of our Southern Gentleman sometimes get too caught up in the persona that shows up on weekly panel shows and self-effacing commercials to remember that this guy DOES know how to win a race. Even when it comes to details that differ in the opinion of the great Ray Evernham, Sadler stood up and expressed himself with no compunction, no apologies, and made a call that got him a Top 10 Finish in the Kansas race.

I guess sometimes you gotta listen to these kids, huh? Thanks, Will and Elliott – guess us old folks need to learn the hard way to have a little faith from time to time! Maybe that means that kiddo will do OK, too.

Go ahead. Mess with the planets!

No comments: