Thursday, March 29, 2007

Wireless Fans.....

From the “Just When You Thought it was Over” department - seems I’m still attending live music events via cell phone! Oh, I’m not complaining, mind you! I think it’s an absolute joy; and as I’ve stated before, taking the time to call and share an event with a friend compromises the “live” attendee’s ability to enjoy the show with hands free and voices raised. An ultimate act of consideration!

Tonight, my dear friend Robin from Niagara Falls, New York is attending a show featuring Eric Church, Miranda Lambert & Dierks Bentley in Rochester, NY. Poor Robin - my bosom NASCAR buddy, my fellow Sadler aficionado and frequent traveler to Austin for spontaneous insanity (i.e., waffles, cheesecake and car parts) -- had to put up with over a month of my musical SXSW- and Who-obsessive behavior and distractions which left me racing-impaired! I tried to share the madness by calling her mid-gig from Rachel Fuller & Pete Townshend’s DirecTV filming – and tonight, she repaid the favor by calling me on HER cell to let me hear a few numbers from Lambert & Bentley live!

We’ve started something……. (Well, sort of!)

You see – the NASCAR bunch did it first! A few months back – during those dark, dreary, and dismal months that stock car fans refer to as the dreaded “off season” -- I got a phone call from Las Vegas, Nevada. At work. Where there are REALLY good speaker phones! I had a bit of advance warning, but it didn’t prepare me for the absolute THRILL of what I heard.

It sounded like this:

“ZZZZZZZZNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnuuuuuuuuu!!!! ZZZZZZZZZNNNNNNNNuuuuuu!!!

IT WAS CARS!!!! Testing at the Las Vegas Track! And not just ANY car, gang, ……… it was MY CAR!!!! The #19!!!! God Bless Merri!!! She took the time to brighten the dark days of offseason with a call to share the music that warms a race-fan’s heart like no other! HORSEPOWER! While Daytona was still weeks away – I felt like the green flag had already dropped and managed to keep my race-starved sanity intact until the real thing came along!

Of course, my co-workers were worried that I had completely lost my mind. “Her speakerphone is making a strange buzzing noise and she’s got tears in her eyes! Whassup with that?” They should have seen me during the Tampa2 Who Encore! (Thanks again, Burton!)

Sooooo – I’ve just realized that I’ll have an opportunity during the next few weekends to repay some precious favors! Thunderhill Raceway (our local 3/8ths mile asphalt) opens its season this weekend, and the BIG one – Texas Motor Speedway is only 15 days away. My phone is charged. Anybody wanna sound bite?

1 comment:

Snafam said...

Sound-byte needed here!