Monday, March 05, 2007

Be Careful What You Pray For …..or…… When Passtimes Collide

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I mean, I had ASKED the cosmos to humor me, hadn’t I? I must have actually voiced my request skyward at one point in the form of an annoyingly crafted whine: “WHY can’t I get an equal amount of BOTH my favorite leisurely diversions at approximately the same interval? WHY must it always be ONE or the OTHER? It would be sooooooo cool to have both NASCAR and MUSIC at the same time!” Apparently the celestial jefe has decided to teach me a lesson. Warped sense of humor that God dude has!

I should be the happiest camper on the planet right now! You see, I’m a music fan. Not just music per se – music HISTORY and PHILOSOPHY as it pertains to the Spiritual and Intellectual components of certain artists’ works. (That’s a verbose way of saying “I’ve been a hardcore Who freak and a early Psychedelic rock nut for over 35 years!”) It’s rare as hens’ teeth to have all the right people and events come together to make my musical dreams come true – LONG dry spells of NO activity or news have been the bane of my existence in this arena. Thusly, I HAD to develop a secondary obsession! Something with all the volume, thrill, pageantry, controversy, stimuli and pomp of rock-n-roll, but with a more “predictable” schedule.

NASCAR fit the bill perfectly. For almost a decade now I’ve filled the musical gaps with the sound of earsplitting motors, iconic drivers, obsessed fellow-fans, milestone events, travel, appearances, etc. OK, it lacks some of the spiritual context of music, but it more than makes up for the lack in sheer volume. Decibels count for something in a weighted average! A predictable season, an accessible driver, a cadre of fellow lunatics and all the controversy that surrounds a competitive endeavor. Granted, few of my NASCAR buddies have the patience to humor me in a discussion of Townshend’s Quadrophenia, but the chances of having to cross my addictions seemed pretty slim.

Until now.

It’s March in Austin. March means its time once again for the annual South by Southwest (SXSW) Music festival to hit town. 300+ bands, 2 weeks of round the clock music, conferences, panels, films, etc. At my age, it’s typically a 14-day headache of new musicians playing music that’s quite painful and downright foreign to someone my age. An occasional “oldie” will make an appearance, but typically not someone I’d change my daily routine to go and see. As the 3rd month approached this year, I once again dreaded the upcoming festival – then the announcements started……

The Keynote Speaker at SXSW is the “high holy” honor handed annually to a musician or music industry personality of iconic stature. At long last, the honor I’ve hoped for! Pete Townshend himself! My satguru of songwriting, my ayatollah of rock-n-rollah, he who’s music I’ve analyzed and pondered since I was a pre-teen! OK, so I’m goin to the Keynote Address! A victory for Obsession #1. But…….

He’s bringing Rachel Fuller, his INCREDIBLY talented girlfriend with an award-winning collaborative podcast to add to my collection of In The Attic recordings! In person! March 16th! Oh yeah! I’m hittin a few live gigs! A party or 2! This is INCREDIBLE!..... BUT WAIT…….

Roky Erickson’s Annual Psychedelic Ice Cream Social is scheduled for that Wednesday the 15th! With a freed-from-guardianship Roky (newly returned from his first San Francisco gig in 30+years - MUST attend to see if he met up with Tommy Hall!) and performing with the likes of Powell St. John and members of REM! OH MY! AND……

The 40th Anniv. Of the Monterey Pop Festival will be celebrated with a screening on the 17th! Ian MacLagan’s playing a gig in honor of Ronnie Lane on the 16th! Steve Earle on the 16th! Daniel Johnston – 16th! Robyn Hitchcock & Polyphonic Spree-16th! Flatstock Poster Show - all freakin week!

And as if this weren’t enough………………… THE WHO announces a date in San Antonio on March 20th. THE ultimate event -- only a handful of opportunities in a lifetime to see MY band live! I'll miss my own damned funeral before I miss a Who gig in Texas! My musical cup not only runneth over, now it’s flat out flash flooded!!

I’m a member and/or moderator of at least 10 different music-related online forums and discussion groups. MANY online friends developed over the years with individuals all over the globe as musically obsessed as I am. My User ID? AUSTINGAL. Guess who’s about to have a LOT of company? Must coordinate get-togethers, pre-& post-concert gatherings, help with hotels, tickets, car rentals, hotels, parking, etc. etc. etc. This is gonna be nuts! I LOVE IT!!!

BUT WAIT! YELLOW FLAG! When SXSW is over, it will be LESS than 3 weeks until it’s time to GO RACING!!! That’s right! TMS week starts April 12th!

My driver has a big win at Texas Motor Speedway! Our Fan Association is Texas bound starting in early April! Again, the message board crews, blogbuddies, pit row pals, will head to town as we gather for our Spring festival of Stock Car silliness! In the midst of music madness, I’ve got to plan for RV space, get scanner frequencies programmed, update the season’s wardrobe, secure pit passes, speak with sponsors, etc.! I need to grab grub for tailgating, download pics to clear out room for more…. OH.. driver’s birthday – gotta get group present ready…. Gifty baskets for team, goodies for girlfriends!

Sooooooo…… until all this fun and frolick is a thing of the past, I must ask my friends on BOTH sides of my personal addictive slate to be patient and understanding. I’m stretched a bit thin right now! If I accidentally start discussing the Car of Tomorrow with my Meher Baba buds, please excuse. If my Sadler sisters suddenly find me posting about the Lifehouse Method project….. umm… humor me. I’ll really try not to scream “BOOGITY” when the band cranks up “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and I’ll try even harder not to yell “THEY’RE ALL WASTED!!!!!” when NASCAR announces the Daytona penalty appeal results later this week…….

In the meantime – pray for me. I’m starting to dream of Daltrey in a red firesuit and Sadler playing the 5:15 bass solo. Townshend anchoring Raceday with Moonie and Mikey trashing hotel rooms. Roky doing commercials with Rutledge. If Dale Sr. shows up at Woodstock, I’m a goner. Think it can’t get worse?

Today I found out that Blake Shelton will be at the Travis County Rodeo on March 17th. (sigh). Friends, be careful what you pray for!!

2 comments:

lryicsgrl said...

Hi Susan,
I just popped in to see your bloggie, as I heard such wonderful things about you from other bloggers who will be attending the SXSW shows...you are right to be exhausted already and you must be on heightened sensory overload....I know I would be!!

Good luck to you and I will be careful what I pray for.it could be dangerous!!

Have fun and stay sane..

xo
Sue

Cathy with a C said...

Great post, Susan! Can't wait to meet you and the other blogger/Who fans in person next week! Also can't believe it will be here in just a few days! I'm also feeling overwhelmed, but reading your post, you are superwoman!

Cathy